a Lynne's

Lynne's

Saturday, December 11, 2004

The Word is Masturbating
Growing up in Massachusetts WFNX, along with WBRU, were my "modern rock" music stations of choice. I left the Commonwealth in 1997 and continue to miss them. It has been at least a year since I have listened to FNX so today I virtually returned to the East coast. Instantly I was happy. Great afternoon playlist. My only gripe was with the blatant censorship.


Specifically, I am talking about Darling Nikki, the lady of Prince's 1984 song of the same name. When Prince originally released this song I don't recall it getting much airplay, especially after Tipper Gore started her filthy lyric crusade. However, EVERY teenager knew this song, word-for-word.


FNX played the Foo Fighters cover of Darling Nikki...
I met her in a hotel lobby -dead air- with a magazine.

What is this dead air, bleeping/pausing crap that stations do now? I cannot express to you how annoying I find this practice. Especially when 10 minutes later the FNX jocks started a conversation about Girls Gone Wild...makes no sense.

I rather the music directors remove all such songs from rotation, then experience this annoyance. Hearing a Sublime song these days on the radio is actually painful.

Thankfully the world of blogs is still protected. Here are the entire lyrics to Darling Nikki.

--Upate (12/24): FNX informs me that Darling Nikki was not edited until after Janet Jackson revealed her boob for all Super Bowl watchers.
So do you think there is a list of words out there that have to be censored? What words are on this list? Who makes this list?

0 Comments:

Add a comment