a Lynne's

Lynne's

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Missing my youth?
I was fiddling with the car radio today and ended up stopping at an 80's station to hear Bon Jovi’s Livin' on a Prayer. I hadn't heard that song on the radio in ages - volume up, singing at the top of my lungs, car dancing - I was surprisingly very happy.
When I arrived home, I eagerly went to my old cassette collection to find my copy of Slippery When Wet. I could only listen about 30 seconds before tape distortion hit, so I switched my attention to Siouxsie and the Banshees and forgot about Jon, Richie, and the boys. Then I had to go out again; I turned on the car, started driving and within 30 seconds - boom - back into 80’s hairband land with Bon Jovi's You Give Love a Bad Name. I haven’t been able to get them out of my head since, and acknowledged as much to some other 30-somethings.
"You are freely admitting that?" one person said.
"Yeah", I said without hesitation.
Another replied that enough time has passed for Bon Jovi are cool again.
Must be, because I can certainly recall times between 1986 and now when I wouldn't have freely admitted my like for Bon Jovi (secretly, I have always loved them). Or, maybe, we are just at the age where we just don't care; when anything that triggers fond memories of our free-spirited youth makes us happy.








Bon Jovi are playing Portland next weekend when I will be in Ashland enjoying chocolate, theater, and art. Ya know, grown up fun.
If anyone out there is going to the Bon Jovi show please raise a hand for me...
When you want to let a feeling show
Raise your hands
From New York to Chicago
Raise your hands
From New Jersey to Tokyo
Raise your hands….

8 Comments:

Rock on groovster! I am feeling indescribable emotion over the fact that you saved a 20 year old BJ ticket....

Dave
I'll take chocolate, theatre, and art over Bon Jovi any and every day of the week!!!!

That sounds fabulous!!!!!
Did you see?!

http://www.oregonlive.com/contests/bonjovi/
Dave - What you don't have a scrapbook? My oldest ticket is from 1983. It is for Def Leppard, my first concert.

Rozanne - I am looking forward to my weekend away in Ashland.
I wouldn't have thought I would care about Bon Jovi; that is the beauty of this recent discovery.

Anon - Who knew?
Hairband and goth punk? My you are eclectic.
Yes I am!
How was Ashland?! What did you see? I cannot wait until my first trip down there, but it's looking like it won't be until June!
Hi. I saw "Up" and really enjoyed it. Also saw your lovely face in the OSF program - Go DeAnn!

Add a comment