a Lynne's

Lynne's

Friday, July 07, 2006

Climbing to resume on Mount St. Helens!

Not that I am in any shape to climb it, I barely made it to the top 2 years ago. But ever since that August 4th climb I have wanted to go again. The reasons are many, and mostly personal. (sorry I don't feel like sharing them right now.)
One obvious reason is to get a view of the crater. Just look at that cloud cover! I felt like I was on the rim of a chilly cauldron filled with brew. Of course by the time we were at bottom again the sky was blue again.


5 Comments:

I haven't climbed any glaciated peaks, and I don't think I ever will, but I'm glad Mt. St. Helens is back "open" again.

I haven't done any hiking in that area for a couple of years now, cuz I was under the vague impression that most of the trails were closed cuz of the eruptions and earthquakes.

There are some great hikes there. Sheep Canyon, for example!
Wow!
Rozanne,
Yes, I could be a Mazama now. I have no desire to hike any other glaciated peak - maybe one of the Sisters (the easiest one)
I haven't hike Sheep Canyon. I haven't been hiking much since the Mount St. Helen's year. Well last weekend I went to the falls at Beacon State Park, only 2.5 miles and 600 elevation gain.

LA, Indeed.
I have never done that and I would REALLY like to. I'm so impressed with you for having done it.

Can you do it now? I mean, can the general public? Is it reopened yet, I mean? (I am trying to make some plans for when Nolan's mom visits, and that might be an option.)
DeAnn,
Sorry I thought I linked to The Oregonian article. I belive July 21st is the date.

Add a comment